?

Log in

No account? Create an account
 
 
05 May 2010 @ 09:48 pm
It's a good thing we love them, otherwise we'd have to kill them.  
The exciting portion of our evening:

Zoey, our beautiful husky/lab mix, likes to chew things when we leave her alone.  This has largely disappeared, thanks to use of the Kong and liberal application of things like peanut butter, giving her something to work for when we leave her.

However, some things are just too temping to resist.  Like two mostly full bags of Easter candy, specifically, miniature Snickers, and Butterfinger eggs wrapped in foil.  My husband left them on the coffee table after playing a couple maps of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 earlier tonight.

I came into the house a little bit ago to find both bags empty, and the contents eaten, foil wrappers and all.  

That's like 50-60 individual wrapped chocolates.

A quick call to kistha, who was kind enough to call the veterinarian she used to work for, yielded these possible plans of action:

1. Watch her, and as she looks like she's doing fine, let the mess pass through her system, resulting in a probable few days of diarrhea tinged with blood.  Feed her boiled chicken and rice during this time, to help calm her aggravated intestines.  Which, really, how can they NOT be aggravated?  I'm pretty sure consuming two entire bags of Easter candy in one sitting would make me sick, and that's without the foil wrappers.

2. Administer some hydrogen peroxide, which will apparently induce explosive vomiting.  

Um.  None of these options sound good, you know?  But better than the dog dying because foil and chocolate get stuck halfway through her system, or the chocolate gives her a heart attack.

I have rice cooked in chicken broth on the stove now.  *sigh*  This would be so much easier if she would just throw up on her own.  Mark is all for feeding her the peroxide and letting that happen.  I'm a little afraid that would result in her throwing up all night, so I'm voting for option #1.  



 
Tags: ,
 
 
Current Mood: bitchybitchy
 
 
 
Patron Saint of Pessimism: Dogs: Solo poutingwoodrunner on May 6th, 2010 09:23 am (UTC)
Ouch.

I hope she made it through the night OK and that the puking was at a minimum.

Solo once ate a full bowl (about the size of a soup bowl) of chocolate-covered raisins that the spouse left out on the coffee table when we were sleeping. Didn't hear a thing. It was a lot of chocolate, but he never got sick from that. (whew)
Manada: STXI - captain & doctormanada on May 6th, 2010 03:24 pm (UTC)
IIRC, it's the dark chocolate that's really, really bad for them.

Growing up, my family's 2 miniature dachshunds ate most of the milk chocolate bars w/almonds I was selling for school. It was like $30-$40 worth of chocolate, and they didn't really get sick.

Another time, the female ate my leftover Easter candy (Hershey's kisses), but she was pretty quick to vomit up the evidence.

Best wishes on a quick recovery for Zoey!
Mandy: Office party by illyria1985leelu92 on May 6th, 2010 06:38 pm (UTC)
Yep- Manada is right- dark chocolate is really bad for them. And ironically enough we had a Jack Russell eat a bunch of my candy bars (selling for school) and it didn't even phase her. I would not induce vomiting- dog vomit is one of the ickiest thing ever to deal with.
I hope your pup is doing well and that it all just passes right on though!